Vitamin B12 Blood Test
You may think of it as just a vitamin you pass in the drugstore aisle, but B12 plays a supporting role in some of the body's most essential functions, from making red blood cells and DNA to supporting your nervous system.
This test measures the level of B12 (also called cobalamin) found in your blood. Lower than normal levels of B12 may cause fatigue, muscle weakness, intestinal problems, numbness, memory loss, anemia, as well as irreversible nerve damage if left untreated. Higher than normal levels of B12 may indicate a health condition, such as liver disease or diabetes.
No special preparation.
Why Consider This Test
- Skerrett, Patrick J. “Vitamin B12 Deficiency Can Be Sneaky, Harmful.” Harvard Health Blog, 11 Feb. 2019, www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780
- “Vitamin B12.” NIH Office of Dietary Supplements, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional
- Reinstatler, Lael, et al. “Association of Biochemical B12 Deficiency with Metformin Therapy and Vitamin B12 Supplements.” Diabetes Care, American Diabetes Association, 1 Feb. 2012, http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/2/327
- “Vitamin Deficiency Anemia.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 9 Nov. 2016, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vitamin-deficiency-anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355025.
- Bermejo, Fernando, et al. “Should We Monitor Vitamin B12 and Folate Levels in Crohn's Disease Patients?” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Nov. 2013, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24063425.
How To Get This Test
1. Choose your tests
Shop for tests and pay online. An independent physician will review and approve your test requests; no doctor’s visit is required.
2. Provide Your Sample
Take the requisition number we emailed you, along with a photo ID, to a LabCorp location for sample collection.
3. Access your results online
View your easy-to-read results online in your Pixel by LabCorp account. For certain results that require prompt attention, you will also be contacted by phone or mail.
Getting My Results
We've made getting your results easier and more convenient than ever. View your easy-to-read results online in your Pixel by LabCorp account. For certain results that require prompt attention, you will also be contacted by phone or mail. To view a sample report click the "sample report" button below.